Cookie and privacy
Here at Leap, we hate receiving spam and as such as a company we are committed to putting you in control of your privacy, whilst maintaining our responsibility to all members of Leap to ensure the Leap Marketplace is a safe and secure platform on which to borrow and lend money.
These responsibilities extend to fraud, money laundering and other crime prevention; to careful credit assessment using manual and automated data collection; and to validating the identity of all users of Leap.
Why does Leap need to collect information about me?
Here at Leap (as a data controller) it is our responsibility to ensure that we can positively identify every member, and as such our registration process captures data in order for us to validate your identity. If we cannot do so, then we reserve the right to request additional verification data before allowing a member to participate with Leap as either a Borrower or Lender.
Additionally, we may also collect data about you for the purposes of statistical analysis, monitoring, site optimisation, product and site marketing, email marketing, customer relationship management, checking details of job applicants and employees. These are administered by industry best practice opt-out procedures. For more information, see “How will Leap use my information for marketing purposes?”.
All the data that you submit to Leap is stored securely and is not directly accessible by third parties.
How will Leap use the information they collect about me?
We collect information to allow us to positively identify you for the purposes of prevention of both fraud and money-laundering. In addition, if you are borrowing money, we collect information about you to allow us to make an informed credit decision prior to any loan agreements. This data allows Leap to identify you via credit and other reference agencies, to prevent fraud and to ascertain your affordability of any loan that you select through Leap. We will also use the information to tell credit reference agencies that you have an account and how you run that account and in the case of any default to trace debtors and recover debt.
How will Leap interact with Credit Reference Agencies?
In order to provide you with a quote, we will provide your personal information to credit reference agencies (CRAs) and carry out a soft credit search to establish your credit rating. This is a preliminary credit check and will give us an overall view of your financial health (including your credit score) but not your full credit report. This will help us determine whether your application will be successful and provide you with terms (interest rate) of your loan. The CRAs will record our search but other lenders will not see it and it will not affect your credit score.
Once you accept our offered quote, we will carry out a full search of your credit report and we will perform credit and identity checks on you with one or more credit reference agencies (CRAs). To do this, we will supply your personal information to CRAs and they will give us information about you. This will include information from your credit application and about your financial situation and financial history. CRAs will supply to us both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit, financial situation and financial history information and fraud prevention information.
We will use this information to:
- Assess your creditworthiness and whether you can afford to take the product;
- Verify the accuracy of the data you have provided to us;
- Prevent criminal activity, fraud and money laundering;
- Manage your account(s);
- Trace and recover debts; and
- Ensure any offers provided to you are appropriate to your circumstances.
We will continue to exchange information about you with CRAs while you have a relationship with us. We will also inform the CRAs about your settled accounts. If you borrow and do not repay in full and on time, CRAs will record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs.
When CRAs receive a search from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders.
We do not provide joint loans; however, if you tell us that you have a spouse or financial associate, we will link your records together, so you should make sure you discuss this with them, and share with them this information, before lodging the application. CRAs will also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time as you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the CRAs to break that link.
The identities of the CRAs, their role also as fraud prevention agencies, the data they hold, the ways in which they use and share personal information, data retention periods and your data protection rights with the CRAs are explained in more detail at CRAIN. CRAIN is also accessible from each of the three CRAs clicking on any of these three links will also take you to the same CRAIN document:Callcredit Equifax Experian.
When will Leap contact me?
Leap reserves the right to contact all members for operational reasons concerning the management of their account by email, post, telephone or text message.
Leap contacts Borrowers during the application process as a matter of course in order to confirm information affecting the approval of a loan and any progress made on the application. We will also contact Borrowers during the course of the repayment of a loan at regular intervals, and in the event of any missed or late payments.
Leap sends periodic updates about new products, services, content and information. Both Borrowers and Lenders can opt out of these communications at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How will Leap use my information for Marketing Purposes?
Here at Leap, we will never sell, share or otherwise pass personal information to a third party without your consent.
The management of our business requires us to share and confirm data with third parties such as credit reference, debt collection or law enforcement agencies. Leap reserves the right to change the nature and suppliers of that information and/or those services to ensure best practice. Leap keeps a log of any search, check or other validation of your data by a third party. Credit Reference Agencies reserve the right to record the check and validation of your account for their own operational purposes.
How long will Leap keep my personal information?
Leap reserves the right to hold your information in an inactive state for any period of time that is deemed reasonable for the purposes of the prevention of fraud, identity theft or any other crime. If you request that your account is closed, Leap will not contact you for any other purpose other than to inform you of any potential fraud, identity theft of other criminal act affecting your personal information.
Can I see what information Leap holds about me?
Yes. Under the Data Protection Act, you have the right to view all the information Leap holds against you as a Subject Access Request. We will endeavour to provide that information to you within 28 days of a written request being made to Leap. A fee may be payable to service a Subject Access Request, about which we would inform you as part of the process. This request can be done in writing by emailing us at email@example.com with Subject Access Request in the Subject field.
Where is Leap based? Can I access Leap from outside the UK?
Leap’s headquarters are in London. You can access and transact with Leap from in and out of the UK. The Leap service however is only available to resident tax payers of the United Kingdom. Leap reserves the right to make the Leap service available to residents of other countries as it sees fit.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer and are common throughout websites across the Internet. Since websites do not have memory, cookies are useful in that they allow the website to remember certain things that help you use the service. When used properly, they are used to inform and encourage best practice by online websites and businesses, and to deliver and record timely and relevant information to users.
Purpose of cookies
- Functional: To temporarily store any information which you may enter in tools, such as calculators or demonstrations on our website or to allow the website to function by storing settings
- Security: As a user moves through pages on our website, the cookie shares information with our server. The cookie helps us distinguish your browsing session from those of other users on the Leap website. Security cookies also allow us to prevent hacking, for example on forms that you complete on our website
- Preferences: To store your preferences so that the website can be customised just for you
- Analytics: To compile statistical reports on activity on our website, for example the number of visitors to our website and which pages they visit and to collect anonymous information that will help us understand visitors browsing habits on our website and allow us to improve the Leap service
- Advertising: To define advertising on and off our website to certain users based on their browsing habits
Types of Cookies
Leap uses the following types of cookies:
First Party Cookies
The term “party” relates to the website that places the cookie on your computer or mobile device. Cookies that have the domain leaplending.co.uk are first party cookies. These can be persistent or temporary cookies. An example of a first-party cookie is “_ga”;. It contains an anonymous identifier which we use to track website usage across our domain with Google.
Third Party Cookies
From our summary of cookies below, you will see that some of the cookies have a domain which is not leaplending.co.uk. Any cookie which has a domain that is different from the website you have visited is a third party cookie. An example of a third party cookie on our site is PREF which has the domain google.co.uk. This means that Google Analytics collects data about the traffic to leaplending.co.uk via Google advertising cookies and anonymous identifiers. Google Analytics is a web analytics tool which Google provides to allow us improve our understanding of how our website is being used by visitors.
Google uses a range of cookies on the Leap website including:
- Preferences: The PREF cookie allows the Leap website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks. This includes your preferred language or text size.
- Security: The SID and HSID cookies contain digitally signed and encrypted records of your ID and most recent sign-in time. The combination of these cookies allows Google to keep your account secure by blocking attempts to steal content on forms that you complete on the Leap website.
- Advertising: Google uses the PREF, NID and SID cookies to help customise ads on places like Google search. The cookies allow Google to remember your most recent searches, your interactions with Leap ads and your visits to Leap’s website. This way, ads can be customised to suit your preferences.
In summary, the third party cookies on our site are used for the following purposes:
- To serve advertisements on third party sites and ensure they are timely and relevant;
- To control how often you are shown a particular advertisement;
- To tailor content to your preferences;
- To count and track the movement of anonymous users across our site(s);
- For website usage analysis
Duration of Cookies
Cookies are always set with an expiry time but this can vary from as soon as the website browser is closed (session) to e.g. 4 years (persistent). The different durations are specified based on the requirements for which the cookie was set. These are explained below.
Session cookies allow a website to keep track as you move from one page to another so that the server does not treat you like a new visitor and repeatedly ask you for the information you have previously provided to the website.
We use session cookies for the following purposes:
- To allow users of Leap to carry information across pages of our site in particular to avoid having to re-submit security information or preferences. For example, we use session cookies to keep members logged in as they move from page to page
- To ensure better security for our users by logging them out of their account after a period of inactivity
Session cookies are temporary so they expire as soon as you close your browser. This means that when you revisit the website again, it recognises you as a new visitor unless specified otherwise (in a cookie!)
You can adjust your session cookies through the settings feature of your browser.
Persistent cookies are set with expiry dates so they remain on your hard drive until you either delete them manually or until they expire.
We use persistent cookies for the following purposes:
- To help us recognise you as a unique visitor when you return to our website and to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly
- To compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how people use our site and to help us improve the structure of our website
- To internally identify you by account ID, Name, Email address and location (geographic and computer IP address)
How do I control Cookies?
You can adjust the cookie settings on your browser to give you more control over which cookies are placed on your computer or device. By managing cookies you can:
- Accept all cookies
- Receive a notification when a new cookie is about to be stored on your computer or device so you can decide whether or not to accept it
- Block all cookies
Please note that some parts of our website may not function properly if you reject cookies.
There are guides available on how to manage cookies on various browsers including:
Cookies on Leap
First Party Cookies
|GCSID||www.leaplending.co.uk||(Session) Browser close||Necessary cookies to allow you to navigate the site and provide certain features you have requested.|
|GCLID||leaplending.co.uk||(Persistent) 30 days after being set||Allows us to optimise our advertising campaigns to provide more useful and relevant adverts to customers.|
|X-Mapping-fjhppofk||www.leaplending.co.uk||(Session) Browser close||Allows us to optimise our website to ensure quick response times.|
Third Party Cookies
|NID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 6 Months||Used by Google to help customise ads on places like Google Search.|
|APSID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google to store user preferences and information.|
|PREF||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google to remember information on your preferences regarding the look and feel of the Leap website.|
|SAPISID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google to store user preferences and information.|
|SID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google to keep your account secure by blocking attempts to steal content from forms that you complete on the Leap website.|
|SSID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google to store user preferences and information.|
|HSID||google.co.uk||(Persistent) 2 Years||Used by Google together with the SID cookie to keep your account secure by blocking attempts to steal content from forms that you complete on the Leap website.|